The writing committee met on October 26, 2015. They identified the following areas to focus on based onstudent performance.
Students need to:
- be able to describe their thinking process when writing - including the rationale for evidence.
- be fluent writers able to write for sustained periods of time.
- be able to revise their work.
- be able to score their own writing on appropriate rubrics.
- be able to understand and apply grammar.
Teachers need to:
- develop a common vocabulary around writing across all content areas and grades.
- develop a common set of annotations for writing across all content areas and grades.
- develop a common set of proofreading annotations for writing across all content areas and grades.
The writing committee will:
- use Calkins' Writing Pathways to collect writing samples and look for trends throughout the year at the Vinalhaven School.
- Create rubrics for use.
- Create a writing continuum for Vinalhaven School to
Our next meeting will be held in November - on the 12th or 13th (Amanda is taking a poll). The entire committee will meet that day to look at narrative samples.
Thanks go to: Helena, Mae, Robb, Missy, Hilary, and Cherie for all of their hard work.